Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Kindness in an Oil Change

An acquaintance called me on my cell phone to ask me if I had any leads on group drumming lessons for the djembe. I did and gave him my contact’s phone number. I was walking outside hurriedly from lunch and back to the office when he called. When he asked how I am I answered honestly that I had a lot to do before I could leave town to visit my niece and nephew.

“Is there anything I can do to help?” he asked.

“You could take my car for an oil change,” I replied half-seriously. I was about to drive 1,000 miles and that would put me 800 miles beyond the time for the oil change.

“I can do that,” was the reply.

In split seconds my mind ran through all of the reasons why I should say “No” to his offer of kindness:

I’ll owe him something later. He doesn’t really mean what he says, he’s just being nice. I am just getting to know him and although I know his wife quite well, I don’t consider him a friend and only a good friend would do me a favor like this. If I say yes, I won’t be able to give him honest feedback about the consulting work he did for our station last week. I’ll appear weak and vulnerable if I say “Yes.”

I decided to trust his offer and said Yes despite the stories in my head. I knew to question those stories instead of believing them outright. He came by my workplace within five minutes of my audio conference call and I gave him my keys and credit card, showed him where my car was parked and where I kept the change to plug the meter when he returned the car. Off he went after asking me which place to take the car to for the oil change.

An hour later, the receptionist called to say my car was back. I immediately went downstairs to thank him with a hug and a smile but he wasn’t there. He dropped off my receipt, credit card and keys and left. I sat still soaking in his gift of kindness. I emailed my thanks and gratitude to him and his reply was that he was merely acting as a vessel. The kindness of the universe was working through him.

This I understand. I want people to receive the same unconditional kindness I have to offer. When they do, I feel wonderful.

Let it begin with me.

3 comments:

Elspeth said...

Welcome to the blogosphere. May many gifts of kindness and new friends find you here too.

Talia said...

Thanks for sharing, Kim. I loved it! Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Peace and Blessings Kim,

Thank you for posting this truly inspirational story. I've truly began to deal with the thoughts in my head that makes me think in terms of "enemies", someone or something I can blame things on. I am clearing my "mental plate" so that I can be free to live. Karma is a wonderful reminder of the need for atonement. May we continue on the path of forgiveness and repentance. Love,

Sis. Carol