Sunday, August 12, 2007

Neighbors

One neighbor brings over the keys to his motorcycle and scooter and says I may take them for a ride anytime.

Another offers his gasoline-powered mower when I allow my grass to grow long enough that the push mower is a real challenge in the heat and humidity. This same neighbor gives me a key that lets me into his house and by the time I have opened the door the dog is there waiting for me to take her on my morning walks.

One more shows me her garden of kale, chard, tomatoes, peppers, squash and cucumbers and says I may have whatever I like.

Another brings over his long tree saw when he sees that some of the branches of the tree I am pruning are too high to reach from the ground and standing on a ladder with a saw too dangerous. This is the same neighbor who, seven years ago, shut his front door in my face.

Yet another invites me and other neighbors over for homemade pie in the screened-in porch in her back yard.

Another neighbor volunteers to watch my cats while I am away.

I am cared for.

I receive all these kindnesses without asking for or expecting them.

I accept my neighbors’ gifts and:

Now the wind blows my hair as I turn the corner on the scooter.

Now I have a companion on my morning walk.

Now my cats are fed and watered and pet and spoken to in my absence.

Now the branches high in the tree are safely removed.

Now my grass is cut.

Now I smell the fresh tomatoes cooking in the pot of masoor dal on my stove.

Now I eat dessert with my neighbors outside.

Now I recognize that I have everything I need.

Nothing is expected of me.

My giving is the genuine receiving of what they have offered.

Amazing grace right now.

Wow!

1 comment:

Elspeth said...

Great. I like how you tied in the beginning with the end.