It was Christmas Day 2005. Jelani and I were walking together in downtown Urbana when we happened upon a store front. We looked inside and saw two men in their 20s practicing a martial art that neither of us knew the name of. The men let us in and gave us a tour of the space and explained that what they were practicing was Gong Fu. The men were Gong Fu instructors and seeing the spark of interest in Jelani’s eyes, invited him to come back and take classes.
Something strong and deep was tapped in Jelani that day. Soon he was at Gong Fu practice five and six times a week. I’ve attended several of his performances. I have seen his poise and self confidence increase. It appears to me that Gong Fu resonates with Jelani on a physical, spiritual and mental level.
Jelani has an opportunity to go to China this summer and practice Gong Fu. He doesn’t have the money himself and his family’s budget is tight. But that’s not stopping him. After Aaron (his step father) asked me for help in supporting Jelani’s trip, I met with Jelani and suggested he ask people for assistance and that I would help him do that. Jelani helped create a database of his family’s friends and my friends and family using Microsoft Excel. He looked up the addresses and I typed them in the spread sheet. He picked out the photo enclosed with his and my letters. And after he returns from his trip, he will give every one of his supporters a Gong Fu demonstration and a summary of his trip and what he learned at a special celebration.
He only needs 50 people to give $50 and he’ll be able to go to China! Imagine that. It’s an opportunity of a lifetime. I hope you will help. Four hundred and twenty five dollars has been raised so far since the letters went out one week ago.
If you'd like to contribute, please send a check to me: Kimberlie Kranich, 1731 West Haven Drive, Champaign, IL 61820.
In Jelani's own words, here's what a trip to China would mean to him:
Dear Family and Friends,
My name is Jelani Saadiq. I am the son of Aaron and Carol Ammons. I am twelve years old, attend Urbana Middle School and practice Shaolin Gong Fu at Huang Lin Bao Jian Martial Arts Academy.
I have been practicing Shaolin Martial Arts for the past two years. Over the past two years, I have learned three major things. One is how to stay fit by exercising daily. Also, when I practice Shaolin I can go to class mad and frustrated but during class all of that leaves and by the end of the class I’m happy, cheerful and tired.
Two, patience. It used to be easy for me to get mad. Shaolin taught me that every thing comes in time. This helps me to be a more calming person.
And third, I learned to defend myself. In a world of violence and hate, some people feel that they can take advantage of you because you a quiet or small, increasing the chance of getting into a fight. Shaolin teaches you not to be the aggressor but the one that can make sure you don’t get hurt by defending yourself. I’ve learned this through practicing different forms and even through basic moves you learn in the beginning months of your training. Although, I enjoy learning the physical exercises, I’ve also learned to be more disciplined. I practice at least ten hours each week.
I also use Shaolin mentally to improve my confidence and how I see myself. Through this discipline, I’ve been able to be on the honor roll since the beginning of the year, I’ve written a poetry book with a few peers, and I was also chosen as one of this years top ten winners of the Dr. Martin Luther King Essay contest.
This summer several students and family members along with my martial arts instructor will be taking a trip to China for two weeks. I very much want to be able to take this trip; however, the cost exceeds my family’s budget. Although slightly discouraged, my mother told me that we could make every effort to raise the money with the help of friends and family.
The trip cost 2,500.00 and will include airline ticket, food, lodging and interior travel. I hope we can count on you for a generous donation of $50 or more. As always, any amount you can provide is greatly appreciated. In an effort to raise this money, I plan to provide to each donor a complete account of the trip with a public presentation when I return to which you will be invited.
I thank you for your time and consideration of this request. We look forward to whatever support you can provide. If you require additional information, please contact my parents at livingsoul@sbcglobal.net and we’ll be glad to provide it. Please make checks payable to Kimberlie Kranich and send in the enclosed pre-paid envelope. The airline ticket purchase must happen on or before March 11, 2008, so if possible return the donation in the enclosed, stamped and addressed envelope by March 5, 2008.
Thank you for your consideration and generosity.
Sincerely,
Jelani Saadiq
1 comment:
$1,600 has been raised as of this date to send Jelani to China! That's enough to buy his airline ticket and secure his passport and VISA. He'll have two months to raise the additional $1,000. Thanks to everyone who not only sent money but notes of encouragement.
Post a Comment