Ziggy and I had a good eight plus years together. Today is my first full day without him and I miss him terribly. The picture on the left is the one I had on my office bulletin board. I retrieved it this morning. I hope blogging helps. I called Ziggy my "Zen kitty" because he seemed to roll with things quite well. He was very easy-going. Always present. Accepting. Solid. I got him at the Humane Society September 27, 2000. They think he was about three years old at the time. The note on his cage said he was a "lap cat." He sat on my lap exactly one time. The first night I brought him home!
The past several months, I had noticed a change in his behavior.
It seems he couldn't get enough water even though he drank a lot of it. He even drank hot water from the tub the last few days of his life. The insulin didn't seem to be working for him. He was extremely dehydrated when I took him to the emergency hospital yesterday. His blood sugar levels were literally off the chart. His white blood cell count was high, too. He was just in for a follow-up test a week ago and his blood sugar levels, though still high and requiring insulin, had lowered. I can't account for his rapid downturn. It was such a difficult choice to end his life. The doctor was the best. Emily was with me. I held him in my arms. When the doctor administered the overdose of anesthetic, I felt Ziggy's body go limp within a few seconds. Then he was gone. I am having him cremated and am thinking about what to do with his ashes.
I kept him as an indoor kitty, but I did let him go outside to eat some grass and snow. The tip of his tail was white as snow.
He loved to sit on top of the couch next to the window in the sun. He once brought me a mouse that he caught in the house. He didn't kill it, just brought it to me. That happened twice.
When I first got him he loved to attack the fake mouse seen in this picture. Recently, when I was flossing my teeth over the bathroom sink and he was standing on the toilet tank he pawed at the dangling floss. I remember feeling glad at his playfulness and I lingered with the floss longer than I needed to to get the job done just to enjoy that playfulness.
He was best buddies with his companion, LuLu. I brought LuLu home from the Humane Society for him a couple of months after I adopted Ziggy. LuLu is still with me. 
Ziggy did such a fine job of welcoming her home. He was glad to have her. They would clean each other's ears and fur, sleep curled together and chase each other down the hallway late at night.
I love my Ziggy boy, my Zig-Zag. His unconditional love and solid presence are great losses for me.
Every relationship eventually ends. That is the risk of loving. I am so grateful that I have friends and co-workers and family to reach out to for support. Thank you, all. Every word from each of you means a great deal to me.***********************************************************************
More Memories
2/4/09
Last night when I came home from work I found one of Ziggy's pure white whiskers on the dining room floor. In those last months of his life he would sit on the dining room table against the wall while I studied or ate. The last day of his life, he laid on the floor near me all sprawled out with his head supported by the floor instead of sitting upright.
As I looked at the cat tower where he used to sit on the top shelf to look out the front room window, I remembered how I used to call out his name. I'd say, "Hey, Z-i-g-g-y boy!" He'd turn from the window to look at me and I'd blink my eyes open and shut and say to him, "Love blinks, boy! Give me love blinks, Ziggy!" And he would blink back at me returning the love each time I blinked at him.
When I was in the bath a couple of days before his death, he sat on the edge of the tub and reached his paw over to touch my belly. He leaned forward trying to maintain his balance and put the weight of his paws on my belly. He didn't actually sit on me while I was in the tub but he made these gestures.
As I talk to friends about his increasing displays of affection towards me and my returning his affection, it seems as if he was both trying to tell me he loves and that he wasn't feeling well. I don't really know. It's just a story.
I am at peace with the fond memories of our time together and for that I am grateful.
9 comments:
Ohhhhhhh, what lovely photos, lovely memories, lovely tribute. It brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes. I know what it means to have that companion in a cat because I have it in Jasper. As I read about Ziggy following you everywhere I knew exactly what it felt like. I can feel how much of a dear companion he was to you and I understand how empty the home must feel - not only for you, but also for LuLu! I know words can't bring them back ... but I remember when my beloved Siamese, Tuptim died. I was walking from home to work one day at saw his body at the roadside. I eventually went to work and was crying uncontrollably. My boss at the time, an English man, called me into his office, closed the door and asked me what was wrong. I managed to tell him between heaving sobs that my cat was dead. He simply said, in the most comforting and sure voice: "Don't worry. His soul will come back to you in another form." Something in that ... my cyring stopped. And even though I was still sad about Tuptim, I felt reassured. What my boss had said then IS true. I hope you find such reassurance that Ziggy's soul will always be with you. Love, E.
I love the photos and what you wrote, Kim. Ziggy had a good life, not as long as we'd want, but a happy, contented life. You two shared something very special that will not go away. I also read E's post and choked up too. To find your cat dead the way she did would have been even worse than the relatively gentle way Ziggy went with you there. I don't think Ziggy could have had a better life other than if he more years. It would be painful even many years from now if he'd lived longer. We can't escape it. But your blog here is a wonderful testament to that relationship and that love. Each photo is heartwarming, especially the final one. We'll cry now but the good memories will last a lifetime.
Love, Martha
Thank you for sharing your memories. Know that you enriched Ziggy's life as much as he did yours. We had a memorial service in the back yard for cockatiel, Jedi, where people shared their memories. My son picked out the flowers for his grave. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Lulu, too. Love . . Elisabeth.
Kim,
These are beautiful words and beautiful photos of Ziggy. Loss of a pet is always so difficult, and yet it is part of the cycle. Your kindness and energy in your writing touched me and I imagine have touched all who've ever had the pleasure of taking a journey or sharing our journey with a furry companion... Be well,...thoughts of you and Ziggy and Lulu,... ~Cris
Kim,
It's so hard to lose a pet that has been such a part of your life. Your blog and the pictures you posted shows he was truly loved. I do love the pic of the bath. Did you leave your camera in the bathtub just to get that pic? It reminds me of Cali, my first cat that passed away a few years ago. She would go as far to jump on my belly while I was relaxing in the tub. Cats are truly curious cratures. All my love and thoughts are with you..........Lori
Thanks, all, for each of your stories of your own pets or of feelings of what it means to love a pet.
I feel much better today than I did yesterday and Sunday when I felt as if I was in a time warp. My grieving is less. I am better able today to find a balance between indulging the sadness and letting it come and between obsessing over Ziggy and thinking of happy memories of our time together.
LuLu seems to be OK. I allowed her to sleep with me on the bed last night (she normally sleeps outside my bedroom because I developed allergies after I got the two cats). She sat right on my chest. I am giving her extra attention when I am home.
Thanks again for your sharing. It has helped.
love,
Kim
That last photo both broke my heart AND made it leap with joy.
RIP Ziggy.
Kimberlie,
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Thanks for sharing the good memories.
Blessings to you, Kimberlie, and to LuLu and especially to Ziggy Boy's gentle and loving spirit. Reading your memories tonight was important to me. Thank you for helping me witness your love and grief and peace about your loss of a wonderful companion. I couldn't help thinking of my boy, Ferdinand, who is 9 and will be turning 10 in May. He has become more affectionate with me as he has gotten older and also since the separation and it being just me and him now. I too am grateful for all the ways he shows me he is present here with me. Lately in the mornings, when I read my daily meditations, he sits beside me, part of him resting on me and the book and he purrs while I read and pray. I also thought of the two times I have been present for my cats going up to pet heaven. When I was 16, my mom and I held Brunella when she was put to sleep and I held the the cat I picked out from the Humane Society when I was in middle school, Speedy, before he was put to sleep. He had a tumor and was hooked up to an IV, but was still purring when he saw me. This was when I was in my 20's and my parents were out of town and I was the only family member available for his last moments. I think being there for the last moments is a real gift. Thank you for letting me know about Ziggy and I very much enjoyed seeing the wonderful pictures of him and Lulu and you. With much love and prayers and in deep friendship, Jennifer in Savannah.
Post a Comment