Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Letter To a Ten Year Old














Dear Ria,

Thank you for the letter, sweetheart! I loved it. I love getting handwritten letters, especially letters that speak from the heart like yours did.

Your mother wrote me a letter like that once. Bea brought the letter over the night plans changed and you could not stay over. It was when you all still lived on Elm Street. Her letter helped mend our broken hearts.

I have lots of pretty stationery just for writing letters. I hope you like the flowers and texture of the paper. Your letter was beautiful. I liked your drawing, especially the expression in the girl's eyes and your use of color. You have a talent.

Thanks for sharing your feelings. I am glad that you are excited about starting fourth grade.

You said you wanted to look pretty for all of your teachers. Honey, you are gorgeous. Your smile, your eyes, your dancing self. Your entire family is beautiful. And, your outer beauty is also a reflection of your inner beauty which, unlike your physical appearance, is not dependent on age. You can be beautiful inside your whole life. Your caring nature is part of that inside beauty.

I am sorry that you are worried about other people knowing you were held back a grade. I know what it feels like to want other people's approval and not get it. You have a good support system in your family and I support you, too. When you feel down because of something at school, let us know and we will remind you just how loved and special you are.

You are a smart and intelligent girl. I love it when we pick out library books together and you read to me. I am happy to help you with your spelling if you want my help.

I am almost out of space so I will close now. In case you want to write me another letter, I've enclosed a stamped, pre-addressed envelope for you.

Thanks again, sweetie, for what you shared.

Love,
Kim

No comments: