Saturday, October 24, 2009

Our Journalism Faux Pas


We gathered at an Ethiopian Restaurant on Chicago Ave. in Evanston today, 21 years after the three of us were in grad school together at Northwestern University.

Marcia, who lives in Idaho, and Susie, who lives in Connecticut, were here for an NU reunion. I came to see them, coaxed by their invitations on Facebook and the convenience of seeing them just two-and-a-half hours' drive from home.

The food was good and the conversation better. It's nice to have a connection that goes that far back. Each of us has had a variety of adventures and when I asked my friends to tell me a story of one of their most vivid mistakes in their careers, I was struck that all three of our examples took place in other countries.

I gathered their stories to share with my students so when they make their next mistake as budding media makers, they'll know that the pros do it, too.

Thanks, Susie and Marcia, for letting me record these and post them. It was really good to see you today. Hugs, Kim






No comments: