Monday, April 21, 2008

Blessed to Work with Young People



That's Nick editing a program he helped make about the history of the drum corps in Champaign. Next month, Nick and another student from the The Youth Media Workshop will release their first rap cd.

I have had the privilege of working with young people for almost my entire career in broadcasting. The opportunities to do so appeared and I reached for them. This is just one of the ways in which I feel God has blessed me.


That's Lawanda in the radio studio recording some narration for a program the students made about desegregation during year two of the Youth Media Workshop.

We're in year five of the workshop now. I am still in touch with several of the students who participated in the program in the earlier years.


Above is Kwan with the field camera. He loved that he got to use equipment that cost $50,000! Below is Yakera engineering a radio interview at the WILL studio. She loved the technical aspects of production and found it very difficult to conduct interviews yet by the end of year two, she interviewed a former teacher for the students' program on desegregation.



Last week the Youth Media Reporter published an article I wrote about my experiences working with young people in the Youth Media Workshop. If you'd like to see it, please visit Hook 'Em with Technology, Keep 'Em with Relationships.

2 comments:

Elspeth said...

When I clicked on the link for the article it said something about "404 not found".

Kimberlie said...

Thanks, E. I've now corrected it.