

Today I sent my first letter to Maleseli (top) and Mamello who live in Lesotho, Africa. Maleseli will turn seven in July and Mamello will turn four in June.
I saw these photos of Maleseli and Mamello last December at a World Vision table filled with photographs and brief bios of children in need of sponsors. The sponsorship involves a donation (87% of which goes directly to the children and their families) and the building of a relationship through letters. I should expect a letter back from them in three to four months.
Maleseli is in school and likes to study foreign language. She plays soccer for fun and helps her family by carrying water. Mamello is not in school at this time. She sweeps floors to help her family. I don't think her father is alive. I hope my girls are still alive.
The life expectancy in Lesotho is 35 years. Infant mortality rate is 61%. Primary education in Lesotho is not free. While Lesotho has one of the highest literacy rates in Africa, only about two-thirds of school-age children attend class and very few advance beyond primary school.
It was a little hard to know exactly what to say in my first letters since I know very little about these children. I sent them some pictures of myself with children from around here and described who those kids are. I asked a few simple questions of Mamello and Maleseli. World Vision sent some pre-printed birthday cards that had puzzles and stickers on them and a space for me to write simple things such as my favorite color, favorite friends, why I wanted to sponsor them and a map where I put an X where I live.
I look forward to hearing back from them!!!!
5 comments:
I wonder if they will write back or someone writes for them.
If they speak English, one of the official languages of Lesotho, the other being Sesotho,they might do the writing themselves. I'll be able to tell if it's kids' writing. If they write in Sesotho, then an adult will have to translate into English for me.
Are you their only 'person' or do you 'share' them with others?
Good question. I don't know. The financial commitment is monthly and so I may be the sole sponsor.
Another great supporter of World Vision is AIDtoCHILDREN.com
AIDtoCHILDREN.com is a dual-purpose site for building an English vocabulary and raising money for under privileged children in the most impoverished places around the world.
Check it out at http://www.AIDtoCHILDREN.com
Post a Comment