"If you could only keep one childhood memory, which one would it be?"
What a great question! I heard it on my car radio on the way to meet some friends for dinner tonight and I decided to ask them the same question.
Here's what they said:
Ice skating on big lakes with my mother and friends.
Smelling a hyacinth flower that reminds me of my mother's perfume. (This friend's mother died when she was five years old).
Going to my grandparents' crop and cattle farm on weekends and hammering nails and making cookies.
Summer picnics at special parks with my family and my sister's family in which we would run and hike.
Building elaborate homemade forts outside with my brothers in the summer.
Kissing my first girl at a bus stop when I was in grade school.
Camping with my family and pretending to camp by myself while pulling a wagon full of supplies in my yard.
And the childhood memory that came to mind for me was going up north to a cabin on the lake with my brothers, father and grandparents and fishing in a boat, jumping off the end of the pier into the lake, turning the boat upside down in the lake and swimming under it and popping our heads up in the air pocket between the water and the boat.
I love the question and all of the answers. They mostly involve doing active things together with friends and family.
And though I have no children of my own, I have many children in my life and I like to do outdoor things with them. I'd like to think that when they ask that same question of themselves, that some of our time together will be part of their sweet memories.
What is one of your favorite childhood memories? I'd love to hear about it.
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
The two trips to Cubs spring training with my family. These are my most favorite childhood vacation memories. Now that my sister is in heaven waiting for us, my love of the Cubs and following the Cubs each season helps keep me connected to my parents and I think helps us stay connected to Liz, my sister. - Jennifer
I loved walking barefoot outside (and inside), especially at the ocean, at our cousin's farm in Michigan, walking in the rain . . .
My fondest memories include swimming in the ocean when the waves are huge, and the excitement in the air after a storm when the ocean is particularly alive. I still love this.
I loved it when our cat had kittens in a dresser drawer. It seemed like the cutest thing imaginable to see those tiny kittens.
Driving on the old two-rut roads in the country - especially those in wooded areas (yes, our mother let us drive very young, with her in the car of course). There are not so many of them anymore.
-Martha
*waves* Hi!
Favorite childhood memory...probably the summer I was 10 or so, running around my grassy, spread-out neighborhood from dawn until sunset with my friends with no worries in the world while our imaginations ran wild!
Post a Comment