Doris Haddock, "Granny D," is 99 years old today. A few weeks ago I watched the HBO documentary, Run, Granny Run, on Netfliks.
It follows Granny D's 1994 run for U.S. senator of New Hampshire. Her campaign staff was very small. Fundraising was a challenge. In the end, it only cost her $5,000 of her own money to finance her campaign -- that amount is something even I could afford! But it sure would take a lot more money to run for U.S. senator in Illinois.
Before running for senator, Granny D walked across the entire U.S. in an attempt to draw attention to the issue of campaign finance reform. She walked 3,200 miles in 14 months at age 88. A few years ago, I met a woman in her early 30s who walked from Oregon to the nation's capital. She was walking to collect the stories of average Americans and bring them to Washington. She brought her dog, Sherpa, with her.
Granny D's son was her main supporter and manager. I was touched by the relationship as portrayed in the documentary.
I'm inspired by Granny D on many fronts. Courage underlies them all. Thank you, Granny D, and happy birthday!
I also thank nhpaul for the photo of Granny D. I found it on his Flikr photostream .
No comments:
Post a Comment