Monday, January 19, 2009

Master Beginners

Ubaka Hill told some friends of mine in a hand drumming workshop that they were each "master beginners." Holding a "master beginner" mindset is useful for me as I try new things that would otherwise intimidate me because of lack of experience.

Emily and I will attempt to connect the plumbing to her kitchen sink and then to the pipes in the wall. [It helps to have a brother who knows how to do this stuff and is willing to answer our questions. Thank you, Matty!]

Emily and I are choosing the "do-it-yourself" route to save money, learn a new skill and empower ourselves by taking on a task still identified as something men are skilled at and not women. We don't intend to change professions, just gain respect for ourselves, do-it-yourselfers and plumbers.

My friend of years and years, also named Emily, is a good role model. She quit her desk job at the Social Security Administration and is now three years into her new career as a steamfitter. A sister blogger has created a cartoon strip known as "Crayons," and illustrated a story about Emily's transition called Courage and Happiness.



Emily is also taking djembe lessons. In this video clip from our visit two days ago, Emily leads her partner, Tiffany (standing in back) and my girlfriend, Emily, in a short performance. And this was the first time girlfriend Emily had ever drummed.

For a few months now, Emily has been learning from master djembe drummer, Mandjou Mara, originally from Guinea. I took this video of Mandjou performing in Emily and Tiffany's basement.


I've got my own djembe drum and consider myself a master beginner.

Somehow seeing myself as a master beginner at drumming and plumbing and relationships, gives me the confidence I need to keep on trying and to allow myself to make mistakes.

No comments: