Thursday, July 16, 2009

Fishin' and A Whole Lot More



Fishing.

That's the gift I promised Tort for his eighth birthday.










Trey actually caught all of the fish.




Tiaundra baited the hook and gave her best effort towards removing the hook from the caught fish.


We ate lunch and then canoed. While we waited to board the van that took us and our canoes to the river, the boys played with the paddles and sang Michael Jackson (R.I.P.) songs to Tia's embarrassment.





There was a point along the river when all the kids wanted to swim. We paddled our canoes closer to the river's bank after we tested the water's depth with our paddles. I got out first and then Tort. He held on to me and commented matter-of-factly on "the energy" of the water.

I was well aware of how currents can sweep even the best of swimmers away. Even though we had on our life vests, it took me awhile to feel comfortable with the responsibility of keeping them safe in the water.

They were having fun as soon as they plunged themselves in the river. Tort asked to climb on my back. He held on while I swam up the river against the current. In his request, I aware of his deep trust in me and I couldn't imagine doing anything intentional, ever, to break that trust. I could only imagine ways to protect and build on it.

I was humbled and awed by his request and trust in me.

No comments: