Sunday, December 27, 2009

First Snow of the Upcoming Winter







The snow came.

I knew it would.

Today was the day.





Almost a month later than last year's November 30th falling.

I look forward to that first full accumulation. Today's was the kind that sticks to the pine needles and cushions my feet on my daily walk. The grays, blues and whites all created a special winter wonderland, just like the song says.






I try to discover something new on that first snowfall and today I did.







I don't know how these snow insects were created, but they were visible on each green metal bench I passed. I wondered in amazement. They were so perfectly shaped.

















These were two of the many hearts left by friends on their walk home after an evening of cards, conversation and translyvania eggplant casserole. It was the first discovery of the morning and it warmed me, this simple gesture of affection.

1 comment:

Elspeth said...

Wow. Those snow insects are fascinating.