The most powerful way that I know how to teach my daughter respect is to be respectful.
So, for me and my daughter, a diaper change isn’t just about good hygiene; it’s a time to lay the foundation for teaching her about consensual touch and respect for her body.
So, for me and my daughter, a diaper change isn’t just about good hygiene; it’s a time to lay the foundation for teaching her about consensual touch and respect for her body.
As an infant, she can’t give her consent to my
cleaning her vulva and anus, so I narrate what I am doing before I do it.
“OK, Az,” I say as I gently separate her legs. “I
am going to wipe your vulva.”
Then, only after I let her know what I am about
to do, do I wipe her labia and the space between them. I narrate in a similar
fashion when I clean her anus.
Later, when she acquires language, I will wait for her verbal approval before I clean these same parts.
Trusted babysitters are expected to change my daughter's diaper in the same manner.
My body and the bodies of many women I know and
don’t know have been touched without consent by people we trusted. It would be
easy to transfer my fears to my daughter.
I may not be able to prevent her from being sexually
abused, but I can begin laying the foundation now—even before she has acquired
language—for being vocal about what she wants and doesn’t want and what is OK
and not OK as far as touch and her body are concerned.
I want my daughter to grow up to be kind to herself and others and to act
from self-esteem and self-worth, and so I treat her body as worthy of my respect. As her parent, I see everything I do, even a
mundane diaper change, as an opportunity to support her.
1 comment:
I have read this post twice, Kim, and each time tears have come to my eyes. Having been sexually abused, I am particularly sensitive to having my body respected and to respecting others' bodies. Thank you for putting this energy into the cocreative energy we all share. It not only helps your daughter in the now, but it also helps all those who have ever been or will ever be violated.
Post a Comment