Thursday, November 22, 2007

Destiny: When Angels Speak of Love

I am still reading bell hooks' book, "All About Love: New Visions." This morning I opened the book to these words from chapter thirteen, "Destiny: When Angels Speak of Love":

Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone -- we find it with another.

-- Thomas Merton

At the end of this chapter bell writes:

Understanding all the ways fear stands in the way of our knowing love challenges us. Fearful that believing in love's truths and letting them guide our lives will lead to further betrayal, we hold back from love when our hearts are full of longing. Being loving does not mean we will not be betrayed. Love helps us face betrayal without losing heart. And it renews our spirit so we can love again. No matter how hard or terrible our lot in life, to choose against lovelessness -- to choose love -- we can listen to the voices of hope that speak to us, that speak to our hearts -- the voices of angels. When angels speak of love they tell us it is only by loving that we enter an earthly paradise. They tell us paradise is our home and love our true destiny.

I remain hopeful.

1 comment:

Michael Krahn said...

Hey,

I just put up a series of posts about Thomas Merton that I think you’d enjoy at:

http://michaelkrahn.com/blog/thomas-merton/