Friday, October 26, 2007

Sacred Activity

I'm on chapter three of bell hooks' All About Love: New Visions and it begins with this quotation from John Welwood:

When we reveal ourselves to our partner and find that this brings healing rather than harm, we make an important discovery -- that intimate relationship can provide a sanctuary from the world of facades, a sacred space where we can be ourselves, as we are.... This kind of unmasking -- speaking our truth, sharing our inner struggles, and revealing our raw edges -- is sacred activity, which allows two souls to meet and touch more deeply.

Yes, I know this to be true. This is giving love. And equally important is receiving love. Without mutuality of giving and receiving love, any relationship is doomed. Love is a verb, not a noun. It is an action not merely a feeling. I have known this since I first realized that it didn't matter as much what people said as what they did. Love is as love does.

No comments: